Huh? I hear you ask.
Today I read “How to clean out your kitchen pantry for Spring” in The Age. I wouldn’t normally look at an article like this as I really really dislike domestic chores, but the words of the ‘professional organiser’ quoted jumped out at me (stay with me…):
A well organised pantry can help the household run more smoothly and save you time, stress and money.
Who doesn’t want a smoother-running household? Tick.
Knowing what you currently have in the pantry can save you doubling up on items, saving you a few dollars here and there.
It would be great to know what’s there. Tick.
You can avoid stress and anxiety when looking for something in the pantry because you’ll know exactly where everything is.
Saves time! Tick.
I only have to substitute a few words here and there, and bingo! the same can be said about how a productivity app or project management tool can help your business run more smoothly. Let me explain.
If you’re regularly forwarding emails to your team, filling up your inbox with to-and-fro email discussions, or even sending emails to confirm that your other email was received (!), than you are wasting a whole lotta time that could be spent doing other things.
How about using a system that:
- stops you having to search through multiple emails
- will keep everyone on track with both internal and external projects
- syncs your emails and assigns them to projects and/or your contacts
- lets you create project pipelines and tasks to ensure nothing is missed
- lets you assign tasks to others and notifies you when those tasks are complete
- reminds you when tasks are due
- links your files (from your computer, Google Drive, Dropbox etc) to any given item so you can find them easily
- gives you the ability to assign priority levels
- lets your team comment and provide feedback and brainstorm ideas
- is accessible from your computer or phone!
These types of tools/apps have been available for some time, and some are even free to start with. TICK.
You will find once you and your team (or even just you) start using one of these apps, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it. You’ll not only be more organised, but you’ll reduce the risk of things not getting done, or not getting done in time.
It is also the perfect way to introduce new team members to your business, as they can learn the ropes much faster when a set of tasks is laid out so clearly in front of them.
Now, let’s change those pantry statements:
A well organised productivity tool can help the business run more smoothly and save you time, stress and money.
Knowing what you currently have in your To Do list can save you doubling up on your time searching through emails, saving you quite a few dollars here and there.
You can avoid stress and anxiety when looking for something in the productivity app because you’ll know exactly where everything is.
Which productivity tools would be good for a business spring clean? See our post on 5 great business productivity apps here.
Feel free to contact me for further advice if you’d like to transition your business out of the hectic world of email management.